It's interesting that those in the social media industry believe everything that's occurring with respect to social media is new. As I look back to direct marketing, database marketing, networking and advertising – I don't believe our goals for businesses were different at all. There are a lot of doom and gloom stories about how pob busnes must adapt or they're going to fail. I don't believe that's true.
While I agree that the mediums have changed (and improved), businesses are still trying to achieve what they always have. The goals for business have never been different, it's the mediums and the expectations of consumers that have changed.
Pe bawn i'n ysgrifennu maniffesto ar gyfer busnes, mae'n debyg y byddai'r deg nod hyn ganddo:
- Bydd fy musnes i ar gael lle mae rhagolygon a chwsmeriaid yn chwilio amdanom ni.
- Bydd fy musnes i ar gael pan mae rhagolygon a chwsmeriaid ein hangen ni.
- Bydd fy musnes ymateb pryd rhagolygon a chwsmeriaid yn gwneud cais.
- Bydd fy musnes yn gosod disgwyliadau realistig ar gyfer rhagolygon a chwsmeriaid.
- Bydd fy musnes cyflwyno beth disgwylir cwsmeriaid.
- Bydd fy musnes cyflawni pan dywedasom y byddem.
- Bydd fy musnes cyfaddef pan wnaethon ni gamgymeriad.
- Bydd fy musnes gosod ein camgymeriadau.
- Bydd fy musnes i yn onest gyda ti.
- Bydd fy musnes cyfathrebu'n effeithiol symud ymlaen ar hyd y ffordd.
In return for being open, honest, accountable and available, businesses hope that prospects and customers will return the favor – communicating how well they performed. This isn't just good marketing or newydd marketing, this is good business. These have always been the goals of the businesses I've worked with.
As you review these goals, there's nothing mentioned about new media, experiential marketing, social media, search, search engine optimization, twitter, Facebook, email or any other marketing medium. Those mediums' existence make it much easier to achieve the business goals – but it doesn't require that every business adopt them.
Your company may find that good old fashioned cold calling does the trick. Remember – it's still true that the majority of the business world has not adopted social media, and many are successful, growing and even flourishing businesses. Take Afal for example… I don't see Apple being open, transparent or overwhelmingly engaged in social media – but they're doing quite well, aren't they?
My point isn't to discourage companies from adopting and utilizing social media. Quite the opposite. If your business wants to adopt the goals of the above manifesto, I have no doubt that social media will accelerate your business given the proper resources and the right strategy. If those goals are not the goals of your company, social media may not be a fit.
Meddyliwch cyn i chi lamu! Mae'r dŵr yn oer ac yn ddwfn. 🙂